Thursday, December 13, 2007

Entry #10 - There is no Free Lunch

Thursday morning at 5am had me awake with a bit of a sour stomach, however, I managed to fall back asleep. At 6:45am, when I woke for the day, I realized that I really didn't feel well. A bit nauseous and a bit of a stomach ache. Calling over to Mike's room, confirmed what I feared. He was up all night with what I will politely describe as a more serious version of my tummy ache. Neither of us were able to go down to breakfast, and at 8:30am (about 45 min late), I finally had the strength to go to work. Mike was definitely not coming along as I headed out into the sunny brisk Dalian morning. I was still trying to convince myself that I didn't feel that badly and Mike's illness was just due to way overdoing the Chinese white wine. When I arrived in the office, nobody was around (they had an all-company meeting as it turned out). As I struggled to not be sick at my desk for the next hour, I began having to make sudden trips to the men's room. Not a good start to a very busy day.
At 10:00am I had a meeting with members of the RSLinx Classic development team - I attempted to make a stop in the men's room just before the meeting, but was turned away by the cleaning crew - Damn! I only got about 2 minutes into running the meeting when I felt like throwing up. I hastily excused myself and just made it to the bathroom in time. After finishing there, I actually felt better and against their recommendations, completed the meeting. It wasn't long after the meeting (about 11:30am) that I had enough and had Frank take me back to the hotel in a taxi. Needles to say, Mike never made it in, and I was fairly violently ill until 4pm or so. Frank, after dropping me off, went to a local supermarket and brought us watermelon, bread, and some bottled water. While I craved all of it during the afternoon, I wasn't able to even keep water down until 4pm or so. By 9pm I felt good enough for a small piece of bread, and by 10:00pm I went for the watermelon. I never before cut open a watermelon with just a spoon (that's all I could find in the room) - but sometimes it is under severe diress that you uncover skills that you didn't know you had. :) Best as I can figure, it was the raw oysters that Mike and I consumed the night before that sealed our fate. It should also be noted that we did each receive a concerned phone call from Cindy checking in on us wondering if we needed anything. A very nice gesture indeed.

Friday morning had me feeling much better. Mike still wasn't up for breakfast, so I went down alone and had my usual plate of fruits and some glasses of juice. Mike was able to join me in the walk to work this morning, but is clearly not at 100% (I am about 85%). He is still suffering from total body ache (I suspect that is the white wine hangover on top of a lingering food poisoning). We had much work ahead of us, and plugged along until our lunch at 11:00am. We had a rescheduled lunch with the localization team that I didn't want to cancel. We went, as it turned out, to the nearby spicy food restaurant that we had been to a couple of days earlier. This time, they ordered all gentle foods for us - Mashed potatoes, peas, salad, Chinese porrage (a made up name). Mike struggled to get anything down, and I admit it was a bit difficult seeing the pictures in the menu. One of the dishes that was brought out was a large fish lightly fried and soaking in clearly sweet & sour sauce - one of my personal favorites. I couldn't resist and ate a bunch of the fish. For drinks, we both skipped the tea and had a glass of Sprite - ahhhh.
After very nice conversation and an enjoyable lunch, we walked back to the office. That is where I shall leave off for the time being (since I am now caught up).

No comments: