Well, here I am again. It is Thursday evening, and Mike and I have just spent our first full day here in
It began around
I arrived downtown
The club was large, but no free food and only a coupon for one free drink (which neither of us used) is all we had to show for our short wait at O’Hare. As we sat there relaxing, I caught a glimpse of concern on Mike's face. Tragically, the concern was well founded, as he had just made the realization that he had forgotten his IPod. Naturally, I offered condolences and have not teased him about it since (yeah right!). Anywho, around 10:30am, we made our way to the gate and boarded the big beautiful American Airlines 777.
Our business class seats were much more high-tech than what we experienced on our Asiana 747 on the last trip. These were fully computer-controlled. I put it through it's paces by first going for the full recline position. I wanted to know what my maximum comfort level was going to be for the 14 1/2 flight to
After a delay due to cargo still being loaded, we taxied all of about 30 seconds (easily a record for quickest taxi at O'Hare).. W then slowly accelerated down the runway, lifted off into the overcast sky and headed north. I set my video screen to
After about two hours of sleep (that is great for me on a plane) sat up a bit, and watched “Dan is Real Life”. Kind of a chick-flick, but it was ok. After that, it was a bit of a daze but I think I laid down for awhile and watched all 6 episodes of “The Office”.
When I said earlier that we headed north, it was in fact, absolute north. We went straight up over
Somewhere after crossing the north pole, the guy next to me flagged down an attendant and was not at all feeling well. They ended up paging a Doctor on the plane and it turned out that he had a severe migraine. He said that he had taken 2 vicodin and 2 hydrocodones, but it didn’t help with the pain at all. They got him some ice packs, a HUGE barf bag, and told me not to open the window or turn on the light. Too bad for me since I wanted to look out the window and read a book – oh well. After the Dr. gave him something else, he was knocked out for the rest of the flight. Upon landing, he woke up and said he was doing better. Unfortunately for me, I just had to lay there and watch our slow progress on the screen for the rest of the flight.
We arrived in Shanghai Pu Dong airport around
Our flight from
Upon arrival, we gathered our belongings and headed to the baggage claim area. It was there that we spotted our rides Frank and Nancy, from work. Mike, in a state of excitement, exhaustion, and general confusion, headed over to say hello. As he approached our friends, I was wondering at what point he would realize that he needed to pick up his luggage from the conveyer belt. The answer soon came – he realized it just after exiting the passenger area. That is to say, the point of no return. As he spun around, I waved and cheerily picked up my suitcase. As he stood there red-faced and weary in the distance, I began to wonder just what his luggage looked like. After a failed attempt by Mike to quietly re-enter the baggage claim area, I knew what two things had to be done: 1) Savor this moment for posterity in this blog and 2) retrieve his luggage for him. A large blue bag making it’s second loop on the conveyer was my best guess – so I retrieved it, and after a short discussion with the baggage claim verifier, was able to bring his bag to him.
We took the standard 20 minute harrowing taxi ride to our hotel – The Swissotel (same place as last time). On arrival at the hotel (now about
After a surprisingly restful nights sleep, we met at
At 11:30am or so, our team took us out to a familiar spicy Chinese restaurant. It seems to be the favorite lunch spot as we had gone there twice before on our previous visit. My mad chopstick skills soon returned to me as I feasted on the tasty lunch. My favorite dishes today were the mushrooms, spicy noodles, and the Chinese dumplings.
We returned to the office after about 45 minutes, and finished up the day around
Interesting side note of a political nature: The CNN feed is somewhat messy – with screen glitches every couple of seconds or so. I Didn’t think much about it until CNN reported that
It is now
No comments:
Post a Comment