I awoke on Thursday at 7:45am out of a dead sleep to a sunny morning in
Dalian. I started the day with a
welcomed shower which I could have used the night before, but I was way too
tired. Entering the glass walled shower
room (about 8’ x 8’) I first checked the shower head height. I was a bit disappointed to see that it was
just over 6 feet – so kind of a pain for me.
On the plus side, the shower head was very oversized and featured a
removable shower head. It was then I
realized I would be just fine – that was because I noticed this shower featured
a large overhead shower head as well. I
began the shower without incident and part way through remembered to turn on
the above shower head as well. It was
just about that moment that I learned an important lesson: That is, there is a bit of water sitting in
the system and it came out quite cold – On the plus side, I was now wide awake.
After getting ready, I ventured down to the dining room
where the all-important breakfast buffet took place. It did not disappoint – with full
international selections and fresh squeezed juices. I think they had a dozen chefs working to
keep everything going. The dining area
presented a nice view of the bay as well giving a decent view of the multi-year
bridge project across the bay. I would
guess the bridge to be well over a mile long and is a double decker design with
a large suspension portion in the center (the center reminds me of the golden
gate bridge). Very interesting to see it
being built – they are currently lifting up the roadway sections to the center suspension
portion.
For lunch, a standard Chinese meal in a restaurant about 10
minutes away by walking. Of note, on the
way back was a sidewalk sale that was held ON the railroad tracks. I was told the train only comes through once
a week and that the sales just go on during lunch break during the week. It was just small scale items like socks, paper
notebooks, etc.
After work, we drove to the far north-east side of Dalian
for a vegetarian Chinese dinner. Absolutely
amazing to see the changes from my last trip two years ago. I could see about 30 skyscrapers (> 30
stories) under construction with a new one being the largest one in Dalian –
must be 80 stories tall. Also spotted a
new shopping center under construction that is double the size of the next
largest mall. As we neared the coast, we
drove by about two miles of reclaimed sea that is now bustling with new construction. In this area was a new convention center that
was in the shape of a set of crashing waves – very cool. I have to go back during the day to take some
pictures. It was immense.
The restaurant was located on the 3rd floor of a
standalone shopping center. This new
construction also featured a rarity in Dalian – an actual parking lot (5 Yuan
to park – about $0.75). The restaurant only
had about 15 tables, but was very new and featured excellent foods like fried
tofu in the shape of a fish, etc. It was
quite tasty and an excellent choice for a new visitor to China who is squeamish
about trying the foods here. It was a
bit pricey ($50 for 3 of us) but delicious and they did a very nice job of
presenting the various dishes. In this
mall, I am noticing a trend that I read was on the rise in China – Wine. There were a couple of stores selling wine
and even this restaurant had a large 10’ and 30’ long lighted display of wines
for purchase. They seemed to be in the
$35/bottle range – which is expensive here.
I got back to the hotel around 7:30pm and edited the blogs
and prepared for a 10pm-11pm conference calls with the US. After the call, I went right to sleep and
awoke on Friday at 7:00am. So far, so
good on the jet lag and sleep!
I promise to get some pics posted soon!
1 comment:
If I don't get some pictures of pickled chicken feet pretty soon I am going to unsubscribe from this blog! : )
Glad to hear that you arrived safely and are doing well.
Take care,
Tim
Post a Comment